JANSUNWAI ON PDS IMPLEMENTATION IN URBAN WARDS OF RAIPUR CITY
PDS is flagship program of the Chhattisgarh State and it is known for the better policy and implementation of this scheme. We have conducted study in two urban wards of Raipur city to assess the efficacy of PDS implementation. We interviewed beneficiaries of various categories, fair price shop keeper, elected representative and food inspectors to understand the overall performance of the programme. The study reveals various facts regarding exclusion of poor, complaints for quality and quantity of food grain, difficulties face by elected representatives in monitoring of the programme. In the view of these unexpected loopholes and malpractices we decided to hold public hearing. It was the first ‘Jansunwai’ organized on 26th March 2011, on implementation of PDS in Chhattisgarh state.
Meeting was chaired by Mr. Samir Garg, State advisor of Supreme Court Commission for Right to Food. Food inspectors of respective shop also attended the Sunwai and offered immediate response to the issues related to implementation. Both advisor and food inspectors have promise raise the issues pertaining to policy reforms on various forums. The following issues were raised by the people gathered for Jansunwai.
- Irregular opening of shop number 63 causing problem to people residing in far off localities such as Chandi Nagar.
- Exclusion of various vulnerable people from BPL list
- Quality of food grain- Stone in rice and wheat, adulteration of sugar- One of the beneficiaries showed wheat filled up with stones distributed on the ration shop.
- Distribution of 1 liter kerosene instead of 4 liter.
- Problems faced to make duplicate card- people have lodged complaint from last 2 years
- Irregular benefit to APL card holders
- Deletion of name from BPL list during verification by mistake of department staff
- Problem faced by deserted women to renew BPL card
- Skipping of wheat of one month due to delay in supply
Food inspector immediately called up the shop keeper and asked for the clarification of irregular timings of the shop. Also he instructed him to change the sacs of wheat with FCI and distribute quality wheat to the people. Food inspectors also assured to solve the problems of following people immediately on Monday.
- Rajesh Nishad- Name from BPL card list deleted by mistake
- Mahendra Bagh- Duplicate card
- Rajni Baghel- Deserted women- renewal of BPL card
- Bhawani Tandi- Name deleted in BPL card verification by mistake
- Suwasini Sahu- Duplicate card.
Chairman of the programme Mr. Garg addressed the programme and concluded the hearing. State advisor also stated, “It was an eye opener for me. For the first time civil society has exposed me to the ground reality of PDS implementation in urban area.” He promised to follow up problems related to implantations such as- the non- formation of vigilance committee at all ration shops, no SMS received by the people who have registered to receive SMS of food supply to ration shop, delayed distribution of wheat. He will suggest government that rice should be distributed instead of wheat in case of delay in supply. Otherwise it violates the rule of Supreme Court that every household receives minimum 35 kg. per month.
He promised to have exchange of word at various government and non- government forums for all other policy issues such as inclusion of excluded vulnerable groups, unit entitlement of items instead of card entitlement.